Thursday, April 9, 2009

Shoot Something Every Day

I'm a writer as well as a photographer. I've done some work for pay, mostly I write for my own entertainment. Why is this pertinent? When I sit down at the page I allow myself some time to "write out the brown water" before I expect myself to create anything worth reading. By brown water what I mean is, imagine an old pipe. If it sits there long enough unused, it'll fill with sediment and gunk and turn brown. If you want to drink water from that pipe you have to drain and cleanse out the brown water before anything good comes down the chute.

It's the same thing with creative juices. And yes, photography (and absolutely writing) are both creative functions. If those juices are allowed to sit and firment then it's unreasonable to expect the first shots or pages to be of any quality. That's why I suggest you shoot something, anything, every day. I don't care if it's a flower, duck or dog poop. Get out there and keep the juices flowing. If you can't, don't expect to shoot gold on your first roll. You'll have to get the brown water out first. And if you're any good the money shots will roll down the chute next.

Get out and shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment